Ph.D., Neuroscience, University of California - Berkeley
B.S., Cognitive Science, University of California - San Diego
Research Interests & Current Projects
Dr. Karns uses human neuroimaging methods (fMRI and EEG), cardiac physiology, and behavior to address the following questions:
- How do senses interact in the human brain?
- How changeable or plastic are these interactions across the lifespan?
- How are these interactions shaped by external factors in the environment and internal factors such as attention and awareness?
- How do emotions and traits affect the way we interact with society and other people?
- What brain and body systems support these flexible interactions and to what degree are they changeable, demonstrating neuroplasticity?