Admissions FAQs

Application Process

Do I need to fill out a UO application in addition to the CHC application?

Interested students must apply to both the University of Oregon (UO) and the Clark Honors College (CHC), and should do so at the same time. The CHC’s online application is part of the UO’s application, whether you use the UO’s own application, the Common Application, or the Coalition Application.

Applicants using the Oregon Application: Check “yes” to the honors question in the “Honors College” section. You will then be able to complete additional required elements described on that page.

Applicants using the Common Application: Go to the “General” section of the UO portion of the application, then choose “yes” on the honors question there. The honors essay prompts will appear once you have answered “yes” to indicate that you are applying to the honors college.

Applicants using the Coalition Application: In the UO application section after indicating that you want to apply to the honors college you will be able tio enter your honors college essay. 

I already submitted my application to the University of Oregon during the early cycle – can I still apply to the CHC during the regular admissions cycle?

Yes! However, once you have submitted the UO's online application, the Common Application or the Coalition Application, you cannot go back in order to apply to the Clark Honors College. If you wish to apply, you will need to complete the Clark Honors College supplemental paper application and mail it in with your essay attached. 

I would like to include a musical supplement (or a piece of artwork) with my application.  How can I do that?

We are unable accept any supplemental art portfolios, videos, or musical recordings as part of our application process. However, we do encourage applicants to write about these aspects in the Accomplishments section of the application.

Where do I send my application and supporting documents?

Mail your application to:

Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217

What are “Supporting Documents”?

Official high school and college transcripts and official test scores are considered supporting documents.  

How do I submit my official transcripts and test scores? Can I send them by email?

Official transcripts are issued directly from your high school or college to the University of Oregon Office of Admissions, either in a sealed envelope or electronically through approved protocols such as Parchment or Naviance. Test scores must be sent from the testing agency. We cannot accept PDF transcripts sent from a high school by email or transcripts sent by fax. Official transcripts and test scores will be shared between the University of Oregon and Clark Honors College Admissions. 

Do I have to send in my test scores and high school transcripts again to the CHC even though I already sent them to the UO?

No. The UO Admissions office shares official test scores and high school transcripts with us, so you only need to submit those documents once. 

I had my test scores and transcripts sent in a few weeks ago, but I do not see that the items have been marked complete. Do I need to send them again?

It is likely that your test scores and transcripts have been received but not yet processed. Especially during peak periods, it can take two weeks or more for UO Admissions to process the documentation. After they have added the information to your electronic record, we will be able to access the information in the honors college.

How can I check the status of my Clark Honors College application?

See instructions on How to Check Your Application Status.


Admission & Acceptance

I have received my decision letter from the UO, when will I receive one from the Clark Honors College?

We mail admissions decisions once per admissions cycle:

  • If you applied for Early Action by November 1st then your CHC admissions decision will be mailed by December 15th
  • If you applied for Regular Notification by January 15th then your CHC admissions decision will be mailed by April 1st

If I am not accepted to the Clark Honors College, can I still attend the University of Oregon?

Yes, if you have been offered admission to the University of Oregon. The UO and CHC conduct separate admission reviews, and whether or not you are offered admission to the CHC has no impact on whether or not you are offered admission to the UO. Students who were not offered admission to CHC can (and do) successfully attend the UO.

I have already been admitted to the University of Oregon. Can I still transfer in to the Clark Honors College?

Yes, we do accept applications for transfer students who are already enrolled at the University of Oregon. You will be applying as a “lateral transfer.” Because you cannot now modify your online application form, you must use our supplemental CHC application form. Transfer students can apply to enroll beginning either fall or winter term; we do not offer spring term admission. Please see the page on applying as a transfer student for more information. 

Is the CHC Right for Me?

Does it take honors college students longer to graduate?  Does being part of the CHC add to my course load?

The honors college curriculum replaces the general education coursework required of other University of Oregon students, but does not add to the number of courses or credits required to graduate. Aside from the thesis project, honors college students take about the same number of courses as other UO students, usually 45-50 courses for a bachelor's degree.

I am interested in pre-med. Is the honors college still a good choice for me?

Because courses in your major are taken within the larger UO, not in the honors college, the CHC can still be a good fit for students interested in a medical career. Many of our students major in human physiology, biology, biochemistry and then go on to pursue medical school. If you have questions about the pre-med track, the Health Professions Program would be a good place to find more information. 

The CHC has partnered with Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) to offer two spots each summer in OHSU's internship program for undergraduate students considering a medical career. This and other unique opportunities would be available to you as an honors college student.

What scholarships are available for honors college students?

Scholarships for incoming freshmen are administered through the UO Office of Financial Aid. You will be automatically considered for some scholarships when you apply, such as the Summit and Apex merit scholarships, and there are some for which you must apply separately, such as the Stamps and Presidential scholarships. Need-based scholarships such as PathwayOregon, Staton and the Honors College Tuition Waiver Scholarship are based on demonstrated need as determined by the FAFSA form. 

For more information, please see our information on Tuition and Financial Aid.

I have taken a lot of AP/IB classes in high school, as well as some classes at my community college. Will these credits will transfer to the Clark Honors College?

Depending on your test scores, your IB credits can be used to satisfy lower division math, science, second language and multicultural requirements. They may also count toward your major requirements and toward other UO electives. Additionally, all of the credits themselves will transfer toward your total cache of credits that you bring with you into the UO and will count toward the total number of credits needed to graduate. You will still be required to take the two-course Arts & Letters and Social Science sequences that are part of the general education requirements of the honors college. 

Learn more about transfer credits, or the honors college graduation requirements.