Majors and Minors: Spanish, International Studies
Legal Fellow, Equal Justice Initiative
Madeline traces her interest in criminal justice reform to her time at the UO, and her participation in the university’s Inside-Out Prison Exchange program, which holds classes inside the Oregon State Penitentiary
Chemistry Professor at University of Wisconsin at La Crosse
“Undergraduate research not only helped me be a better scientist, it also helped me meet new people, make connections, and identify key leaders in my field."
Majors: Theater Arts, Electronic Media Production
- Teach For America
- DVA Productions: The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia (2012), The Eyes of Thailand (2012)
"The critical analysis, outside-the-box thinking, and writing skills I learned at the Clark Honors College empowered me with the desire and the tools to pay it forward. Who knows where my path for social justice will lead?"
Major: Russian, Eastern European, and Eurasia Studies
- National Council for Eurasian and East European Research
"Being a part of the community of scholars means the promise of mentorship and also brings the responsibility to do the same for others. A lesson of the Clark Honors College is that after four years, we all graduate with an understanding of how to give and to receive as part of this community."
Major: International Studies
- HIV treatment access for refugees and displaced populations
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine
"While taking courses in the Clark Honors College, I began to think seriously about how to design my career so I could “give back” through my work."
Majors: Spanish, International Studies
- Member, CHC Advisory Council
- Program Officer, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
"From the first week of class until graduation, I felt a rush of intellectual adrenaline in my CHC classes as the quick and deep thinking, matched with wit and originality, constantly kept me on my toes."
- Playwright and Actor
- Author, Broadway Musical "Avenue Q"
"No one ever told me what the ‘rules’ were, which gave me the freedom to explore and find my own style. At the UO, I wrote a one-person show and performed it. I think that was when I began really finding my voice as a writer. I discovered how to write for an audience."
Majors & Minors: Finance, Marketing, Economics
- CEO, Mailbox Merchants, Inc.
- President and CEO, Kobalt Design Group, Inc.
- Executive Vice President, Signature Graphics, Inc.
- Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC)
In 1995, Dan was one of two Americans selected by HSBC to serve overseas as an international officer. He was posted to Hong Kong, where he managed the bank’s Asian portfolio of American Fortune 500 companies for nearly three years.
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania history professor
- 2011 Veteran U.S. National Fencing Champion
“Not only was I able to reap the benefits of studying at a small liberal arts college, where intelligence was valued and supported, but I was also able to fence competitively at the NCAA Championships!”
- Ph.D. Biochemistry
- Senior Investigator in the Laboratory of Gene Regulation and Development at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Mary was the first University of Oregon student to be awarded the prestigious Marshall Scholarship. As a Marshall Scholar, she studied biochemistry at the University of Cambridge in the laboratory of Richard Jackson FRS, and Nobel laureate Tim Hunt.
Major: Fine Arts
- Principal at Kennedy Elementary School, Medford, Oregon
"I could not ask for finer professors than those in the Clark Honors College. They had expertise and passion for their field. Small class size ensured that the professor knew each student and could assist along the way."
- Counsel and Partner - Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- General Counsel, Head of Business and Legal Affairs - Mark Burnett Productions
- General Counsel, President of Production - Gallery Films
Jordan is recognized as one of the country's leading brand integration experts and an authority in sourcing, negotiating, and managing brand integration deals for feature films, television, new media, music, and video games.
- Former U.S. Ambassador to Gabon
"From my perspective, the diversity and interdisciplinary nature of the Clark Honors College experience is a good method for finding your personal sources of wonder and diversity."
- Banque AIG in Paris
"What I’m doing today I’m able to do because a CHC education helps teach you to identify problems, to be creative in solving problems, and to be an effective oral and written communicator.”
Majors and Minors: Marketing Transactions, Business Environment
- Owner, Iris Vineyards
- Founder and President, InnSight Hotel Management Group
- President, Sycan B Corp
Richard founded InnSight Hotel Management Group, which operates hotels in Oregon and Washington state. He and his wife Pamela are also the owners of Iris Vineyards located in the southern Willamette Valley near Eugene.
- CEO of the Planetary Science Institute
“The honors college gave me the freedom to take the risk of exploring a cacophony of interests.”
- Richard G. Cornell Distinguished University Professor of Biostatistics
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor School of Public Health
- University of Michigan Center for Statistical Genetics and Genome Science Training Program
“The CHC provided me all the small-college benefits of personalized mentoring, and all the opportunities only a large state school can offer.”
Major: Mathematics and Computer Science
- Maseeh Professor of Emerging Technologies in the Department of Computer Science at Portland State University
"There are several reasons my liberal arts background stood me in good stead both in my graduate studies (in electrical engineering and computer science) and in my career as a professor."
Major: Independent Study
- Professor of Sociology and Environmental Policy, State University of New York
- Environmental Policy Group, Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University in the Netherlands
“I had unparalleled access to faculty members and opportunities not only to engage in research, but also to design and carry out my own studies, following through to publication.”
Major: Political Science
- Founder, Family Fitness Management
Ival McMains was honored May 5, 2007 as the first recipient of the Clark Honors College Alumni Achievement Award
- Rockwell Science Center (now Teledyne Technologies)
"Many of my colleagues, educated at prestigious universities, were narrowly focused on the technical aspects of scientific research, whereas my Clark Honors College liberal arts education and background enabled me to balance technical expertise with strong writing and communication skills."
Major: International Business
- Founder, Wulff Quinby & Sochynsky Dispute Resolution
- Adjunct Professor, Hastings College
- Trial Lawyer, Farella Braun & Martel LLP
In 2004, after a nationwide search, Randall was selected by the Chief Judge in the Southern District of New York to lead the panel that heard and decided the property damage claims for the World Trade Center arising from the tragedy on September 11.
- Senior Scientist, Hospital for Special Surgery - New York
- Lecturer, Weill Cornell Medical College at Cornell University
Mary (Brennan) Goldring, an internationally recognized medical research scientist, is a world expert on cartilage biology and molecular biology, particularly as it relates to the behavior of arthritis.
- Professor of Education and Health Sciences, University of Canterbury
"The Clark Honors College experience paved the way for my career, because it taught me how to read and ask questions across all of the major disciplinary areas of knowledge."
- The San Diego Union-Tribune, The Seattle Times, The Oregonian
- Pulitzer Prize winner
Doug Bates won a Pulitzer Prize for “distinguished editorial writing, the test of excellence being clearness of style, moral purpose, sound reasoning, and power to influence public opinion in what the writer conceives to be the right direction, in print or in print and online.”
Major: Chemistry and Mathematics
- CHC Advisory Council
- Retired scientist
“To me, the core curriculum ensured that I took subjects outside the science and math courses in which I excelled so that I received a multidimensional education that would serve me well going into the future.”
- Member, CHC Advisory Council
- Court Appointed Special Advocate
- Retired School Counselor
"Upon graduation, I realized that the CHC had been the frosting on my academic cake. It had challenged me and stretched my ability to think in ways I could not have imagined."
- Chair of African American Studies, Boston University
- Professor, Howard University
- Captain, US Military
In addition to his academic research and publications, Dr. Blakely served as President of the National Phi Beta Kappa honor society from 2006-09.
Major: Asian Studies
- Co-author, Scouting the War on Poverty: Social Reform Politics in the Kennedy Administration
- Urban Ore
"I harnessed coursework to study social change and social movements cross-culturally. I wrote and published reports, essays, and reviews drawing from all sorts of academic domains. Applied science became a pathway to giving back."
- Assistant Superintendent, Issaquah School District