Through the generosity of our alumni and friends of the college, the following scholarships are available to currently enrolled Clark Honors College students. All scholarships listed here offer a one-time award payment. Students may re-apply each year.
Health & Science
Edward C. Sargent III Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student majoring in a pre-health care field or a natural science who combines qualities of idealism, commitment to humanity, openness to alternatives, love of the outdoors, and an interest in preserving the environment.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must submit a resumé detailing their volunteer activities in the areas mentioned.
Roger and Ginny Reich Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student pursuing a minimum of one full term in an approved UO study abroad program.
Shephard Family Scholarship for Study Abroad
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student pursuing foreign language study in an approved UO study abroad program. Although preference is given to students spending one full year abroad, other applicants spending only one or two terms abroad will be considered.
Clark Honors College Service Award
This scholarship is awarded to a student who has made significant contributions to the CHC community.
Shephard Family Scholarship for International Students
This scholarship is available to applicants from two distinct categories:
- International students living outside the United States who have been accepted into Clark Honors College
- International students who have completed at least one year at Clark Honors College.
Preference is given to incoming freshmen.
Joy Poust Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded based on financial need as defined by UO Office of Financial Aid.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must file a FAFSA with the UO Office of Financial Aid by February 1st in order to be considered.
All Academic Excellence awards require that students have a minimum 3.7 GPA at the time of application.
Andrea Gellatly Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a woman beginning her final year in Clark Honors College who has demonstrated academic excellence, breadth of interest, and social concern - all of which characterized the late Ms. Andrea Gellatly in her short but influential life.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must submit a resumé detailing their interests and their activities in the area of social concern. If you are planning to complete your degree in three years, please state this fact on your application.
Ira and Eleanor Wong Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student who has demonstrated academic merit.
Jean Wittemyer Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student who shows exceptional promise for achievement, as evidenced by GPA, originality of research, or other applicable criteria.
Wigham Family Thesis Prize
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student who has demonstrated significant academic progress, and the promise of further outstanding achievement. First consideration is given to Canadian residents. Students going into their final year in Clark Honors College are eligible.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must discuss their thesis project in their essay. If you are planning to complete your degree in three years, please state this fact on your application.
Willma Wittemyer Memorial Scholastic Achievement Prize
This scholarship is awarded to a CHC student going into his or her final year in Clark Honors College who has demonstrated significant academic progress, and the promise of further outstanding achievement.
Additional Requirements: If you are planning to complete your degree in three years, please state this fact on your application.
Awards for Student Work
Owens Writing Award
Larry Owens, a former professor in the Clark Honors College, and his wife Janet Owens have established a writing award to promote exceptional research and writing techniques at the Robert D. Clark Honors College. This $500 annual award is for an outstanding research paper written for an honors college class during the previous calendar year. Only one essay entry per student per year.
Additional Requirements: Applicants for the Owens Writing Award must submit a research paper that meets the following criteria:
- Must be a research paper with full bibliographic apparatus, though citation style may vary.
- Minimum of 8 pages in length, exclusive of bibliography, double-spaced with 12-point Times New Roman font and 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Must have been written for a CHC course during the previous calendar year. Please note the HC course number and name of the class, the instructor, and the term during which the course was taken on the first page of the essay.
- Essay must have received an 'A' in the class it was written for – documentation of essay grade is required
- Completion of one full year in Clark Honors College at the time of application
- Freshmen and recent transfer students are not eligible
- Good academic standing
- Enrolled full-time (minimum 12 credits per term) for the following academic year, unless otherwise noted
Submit a complete application online via the Robert D. Clark Canvas site (log-in required):
- Application form
- 500-word essay
- Additional materials required for specific scholarships to which you are applying
How to write one essay when applying for six different scholarships: In the first paragraph summarize your academic accomplishments and future plans. In the second and third paragraphs address specific requirements of particular scholarships. You can go over one page if necessary.
Do not submit additional materials (transcripts, recommendations, resumé, list of volunteer activities) unless required for specific scholarships.
Application materials must be submitted online by 4:30pm, February 15th.
- The FAFSA must be completed no later than February 1st for scholarships that require demonstrated financial need
- Remember that receiving a CHC scholarship will affect your financial aid package
Additional questions? Contact Dr. Elizabeth Raisanen, Director of Undergraduate Advising, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-4437.