Medical Research Internship at OHSU
Each year Oregon Health & Science University Department of Cell, Developmental & Cancer Biology (OHSU/CDCB) offers a Summer Research Internship Program. Through an ongoing partnership between OHSU and the Clark Honors College, two internship positions are reserved specifically for CHC students.
The goal of the program is to engage scientific curiosity in the next generation of scientists by challenging qualified college undergraduates to consider basic science research-related careers and providing them with initial experiences required to be competitive for science-related continued education and careers in the future.
Summer 2022 OHSU Internships for CHC Students
Internship Dates: June 7 – August 12, 2022 (June 20 is an alternate start date if you are enrolled in Spring classes)
Eligibility: Clark Honors College students who have a strong interest in a career in biomedical sciences and have taken introductory science course(s). Minority students are encouraged to apply. Students must be available and present for the duration of the internship, no vacations or breaks may be taken. The program is unable to accept applications from international students without the proper Visa.
The program will provide:
- Direct hands-on experience in running basic lab techniques.
- An introduction to experimental design and critical thinking.
- Participation in a guided project facilitated by a departmental researcher, culminating in a poster presentation.
- Development of written and oral communication skills.
- Various networking opportunities with a community of scientists.
- Both wet and dry lab experiences.
- A $500 weekly stipend, for up to a maximum of 12 weeks.
Location of Work: Work is typically performed in the Cell, Developmental & Cancer Biology laboratories on the Oregon Health and Science University Marquam Hill campus in Portland, Oregon. Work is carried out under the supervision of CDCB faculty and senior staff. Awardees must use mass transportation or bicycle to work (no on-campus parking is available). Transit passes will be provided by the program.
To Apply: Complete the online OHSU application form by February 25, 2022. Your application will include:
- A résumé (highlight science courses and relevant lab experience, if applicable)
- A one page single-spaced essay on why you are applying and how you expect the experience to facilitate your career goals.Highlight previous laboratory experience if applicable.
- Unofficial transcript(s) for the last 12 months (official copies will be required for selected students).
- Two letters of recommendation are preferred though not required)
- Additionally, email
- your name,
- a PDF of your application document, and
- confirmation of your submission of the application form