Second Language Requirement (Fall 2020 Curriculum)

CHC Disciplinary Courses    Colloquia   Intro to the Liberal Arts    Quantitative 

Research and Writing   Second Language   Thesis    UO Disciplinary Courses   

Learning a second language has many benefits, from broadening your perspective to making new friends, and is a highly desirable skill when you look for a job down the road. Find your degree-type below to determine whether or not this requirement applies to you. If you are a double-major, it is important that you look up the requirements for each of your majors. In no case do CHC language requirements remove departmental language requirements.

Bachelor of Arts (BA)

If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree then you must complete the second language requirement. Many UO majors offer students the option of either a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science. Make sure to talk with your major advisor if you are unsure which degree path you are on. If you are a double major, and one of your majors only offers the BA option, then you must fulfill the second language requirement. The following UO majors award only Bachelor of Arts degrees:

•  art history

•  Asian studies
•  Chinese
•  cinema studies
•  classics
•  comparative literature
•  English

•  folklore
•  French
•  German
•  humanities
•  Italian
•  Japanese
•  Judaic studies

•  Latin American studies
•  linguistics
•  medieval studies
•  romance languages
•  Russian
•  Spanish

Bachelor of Science (BS)

The Clark Honors College has a more rigorous standard than the university overall, which waives second language requirements for all Bachelors of Science degrees. As a CHC student, if your major requires fewer than 90 credit hours for completion, then you must fulfill the second language requirement.

The following UO majors are exempt from the second language requirement because they require 90 or more credit hours, as long as you are pursuing the BS (and not the BA) option:

•  accounting
•  biology
•  biochemistry
•  business administration
•  chemistry

•  computer and information science

•  data science*
•  earth sciences (formerly geology)
•  environmental science
•  environmental studies
•  general science

•  human physiology
•  marine biology
•  mathematics & computer science

•  neuroscience*
•  ​physics
•  product design

      • *The second language exemptions for these new majors will likely not appear on the CHC degree guide until the end of Fall 2020.  Please consult your CHC advisor if you have any questions.

Arts, Architecture & Music

The following majors require 90 or more credit hours for completion. Students pursuing these majors therefore do not have to fulfill the second language requirement.

•  architecture
•  interior architecture
•  landscape architecture

•  music education
•  music composition                        • music technology

•  music performance
•  jazz studies

If you are pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) then you must complete either the BA proficiency in a second language, or the BS proficiency in mathematics and/or computer and information science. If you choose to fulfill the BS requirement, then you do not have to fulfill the second language requirement, unless study of a second language is a requirement for completion of your major.

*Please note that the Music major’s General Music (GMUS) and Popular Music (MPOP) concentrations do not qualify for an exemption from the CHC’s second language requirement.

Fulfilling the Requirement

To fulfill your second language requirement, you must demonstrate two-year proficiency in a second language through one of the following methods:

  • Waive the requirement with successful completion of a competency test if you already speak a second language.
  • Fulfill the requirement with transfer, AP, or IB credits. See the Office of the Registrar for minimum test score requirements.
  • Take and pass second-language courses at the University of Oregon through the 203 course (please note the specifics of the second-language requirement below):
    • Only the second-year, third-term language class (for most languages this is the 203 course) must be taken for a letter grade. Grades of C- or higher in the 203 course will satisfy the CHC’s second-language requirement.
    • Second-language coursework prior to the 203 course may be taken Pass/No Pass. Please remember to speak with both your major and CHC advisors before deciding to take the P/N option, because one or both of the following conditions may apply:
      • You may still be required to take all second language courses for a letter grade for your major.
      • Taking several of these language courses P/N may cause you to exceed the 12 credits of P/N allowed for most undergraduate degrees.
    • For Latin, Greek, and Hebrew (which do not have a 200-level sequence) please consult your CHC faculty advisor.

You can take any of the below languages at UO to fulfill your second language requirement. Courses are taught in their individual departments, not through the Clark Honors College.

American Sign Language Arabic Chinese French German Greek Hebrew Italian Japanese Korean Latin Portuguese Russian Ichishkiin Spanish Swahili Swedish

You can use this interactive website to get information about how to fulfill the BA second-language requirement, though CHC students must remember that the final course in the second-year language sequence must be taken for a letter grade (not P/N).